What We do
God’s calling for our team
“Jesus said to them, ‘The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.’”
The Leadership Team consists of the Leadership Team chair, chairs (alternates are permitted) of the Ministry Teams, the chair of the Deacons, the Moderator and the senior pastor. The Church Clerk, the Treasurer, and other pastoral staff members shall be ex-officio without vote. Every ministry Team is expected to be represented at all Leadership Team meetings.
The chairperson of the Leadership Team shall be called for a three-year term by the Congregational Gathering. The vice-chairperson shall be nominated by the Leadership Team and called for an annual term by the Congregational Gathering. A chairperson-elect shall be nominated by the Leadership Team and called for by the Congregational Gathering following the second year of the chairperson’s term. The church clerk will serve as the secretary of the Leadership Team. Members from the Ministry Teams shall serve one year terms not to exceed five terms in succession.
The Leadership Team shall be invested with administrative powers to plan, coordinate, integrate, and supervise the ongoing program of the congregation. It is primarily responsible for program, long-range planning, initiation or discontinuation of programs, and the setting of goals and objectives. It shall be empowered to act on behalf of the Congregational Gathering except for those actions specifically reserved for the Congregational Gathering as set forth in these policies and procedures. All actions by the Leadership Team shall require a majority of affirmative votes constituting no less than six affirmative votes.
The Leadership Team is accountable to the Congregational Gathering. It shall assure that the mission and vision of the congregation are fulfilled by encouraging and empowering the development of new ministries by individuals and groups and also by evaluating existing ministries and modifying or discontinuing them. These ministries shall aid in fulfilling the mission and vision of the congregation and shall be faithful to the Church of the Brethren heritage and its understanding of the New Testament as the rule of faith and practice.
The Leadership Team shall meet regularly or as often as necessary. Special meetings may be called by the Leadership Team Chairperson, the Moderator or the Pastor. Ministry Teams shall meet regularly or as the Leadership Team may direct.
The Leadership Team may authorize short-term project teams to carry out specific assignments. When the specific assignment is achieved, the project team shall be dismissed by the Leadership Team.
What Are Our Responsibilities
- Fulfilling the directives of the Congregational Gathering
- Coordinating the work of the ministry teams
- Strategic planning, goal setting, and the initiation of new programs
- The approval of a ballot for use by the Congregational Gathering
- The filling of vacancies in elective offices occurring between Congregational Gathering meetings and filling other vacancies not otherwise provided for
- Acting as representatives of the Congregational Gathering in negotiations with current and prospective employees and, in the case of pastors, submitting those recommendations to the Congregational Gathering for consideration and approval.
- Coordinating the publishing of reports prior to, and preparing the agenda for the Congregational Gathering
- Reviewing the proposed church budget for presentation and discussion at the Congregational Gathering
- Approving and overseeing the expenditures of all funds within the guidelines established by the Congregational Gathering
- Providing for the annual audit in collaboration with the Stewards of Finance Team
- Allocating and defining authority with respect to the establishment of bank accounts and the signing of checks and legal documents as representatives of the Congregational Gathering
- Receiving for consideration any concerns brought by any group or individual member of the Congregational Gathering
- Bringing recommendations to the Congregational Gathering when major church policy needs revision or is involved
- Enlisting the help and the counsel of the District executives and/or other District personnel in program planning and special concerns
Who We Are
Our Current Team Members
- Kevin Zurin – Leadership Team Chairperson
- Kim Stauffer – Vice-Chairperson of the Leadership Team – Chairperson of the Worship Team
- Pete Cope – Moderator
- Wes Bowers – Chairperson of the Deacons
- Dave Dum – Chairperson of the Stewards of Property Team
- Mary Lou Ruth & Sheri Barnes – Co-Chairpersons of the Fellowship & Hospitality Team
- Steph Moyer – Chairperson of the Outreach Team
- Jerry Stoner – Chairperson of the Stewardship of Financial Resources Team
- Galen Brumbaugh – Chairperson of the Education Team
- Pastor Doug Hinton – Pastor for Youth & Discipleship
- Pastor Geoff Davis – Associate Pastor
- Laura Meiser – Music Director
- B. J. Haverstick – Church Clerk
How You Can Help
Consider partnering with us
There are many opportunities to support the Leadership Team. Participating in initiatives that result from goals set at our annual Leadership Team Retreat is valuable and provides feedback for future direction. More than anything though, we need your prayers. Please pray for the Leadership Team and the fruitfulness of this ministry. We hope to facilitate the many ministries of Hempfield Church of the Brethren, to grow our church, and to bless the world. We cannot do that without God’s blessing, and we ask you to join us in praying that He would use all of our efforts for His glory.
We value your thoughts, concerns, opinions and praises. If you ever have a suggestion or see an area where we can improve, we’d love to know about it. Please feel free to contact us through the form on the left side of this page. We appreciate your time and concern, and we take your correspondence seriously.